Visualizing similarities between human insulin and bovine insulin in Chem3D
Use ChemBio3D's "fast overlay" function for proteins up to the size of an insulin chain.
ChemBio3D's overlay function is best known for small molecule overlay. In this video, we demonstrate that the same method applies to peptides. The demonstration includes:
- Open our standard sample file for human insulin and remove the water solvent.
- Download bovine insulin via ChemBio3D's online PDB ID lookup for ID=2ZP6.
- Paste the human insulin into the same ChemBio3D object as the bovine insulin.
- Select chain A from the bovine insulin as the "Target Fragment".
- Apply "Fast Overlay" to chain A from the human insulin.
- Observe that the primary structures for the two fragments are identical, but the tertiary structures differ.
- Show the human chain B and bovine chain B; they have been loosely overlaid along with the chain A's.
Click here to update your profile.
VIEW FEATURE CLIP
To view the complete feature clip, choose from the available formats below, and
simply click on the corresponding link. You must have the appropriate player to
play the file. For more info on video players, here. You may
also download the video file, depending on your OS & browser, by right clicking
or alt-clicking and choosing save link as.
Choose File Format