Merging Excel spreadsheets into chemical databases
When creating a new chemical catalog using ChemBioFinder, users usually have some data in chemical format (SDFile) and some data in Excel spreadsheets. This video demonstrates how to merge two such files, using Alfa Aesar’s chemical catalog. Alfa Aesar originally kept their chemical structures in an SDFile, indexed by an “Item Number” code. That code matched up with their price list in Excel. Our steps include:
- Importing an SDFile into a new ChemBioFinder database.
- Linking by exactly matching the column name in Excel vs. the SDFile.
- Converting an Excel spreadsheet to a TXT file for import.
- Merge the Excel price data into ChemBioFinder.
- Observing “tabs” in ChemBioFinder for each data source, and moving fields between tabs.
- Exporting the merged data to a new SDFile with both chemical structures and price data.
This catalog keeps pricing information in an Excel spreadsheet, but the same method would apply for any data in an Excel spreadsheet. In other settings, the Excel data might be empirical data about each substance; or assay data in multiple dimensions. Merging in ChemBioFinder also works for multiple SDFiles, which is demonstrated in other videos.
This Feature Clip is part 1 of a series. Please see the continuation of the series:
to update your profile.
VIEW FEATURE CLIP
To view the complete feature clip, choose from the available formats below, and
simply click on the corresponding link. You must have the appropriate player to
play the file. For more info on video players, here. You may
also download the video file, depending on your OS & browser, by right clicking
or alt-clicking and choosing save link as.
Choose File Format